The general purpose of an internship is to give you practical experience applying the theory and content of coursework in your field. Internships are typically considered a capstone experience, taken toward the latter half of your academic career. The internship guides listed below provide important information about setting up and carrying out your internship. All internships must be approved by your program's internship coordinator prior to starting the internship. Each guide includes the necessary forms and a sample syllabus for the internship course.
Deadlines for all STBE programs for 2020... Your start date must be at least 2 weeks after you submit the Internship form and submit your proposal. (Please note: Your start date may be impacted by your timely return of the signed internship contract. Expect to move your start date if you don't return the signed contract with enough time to make it though the process.)
- Summer II: Range of start/end dates is June 27-Aug 14, 2020. Deadline to submit proposal (refer to respective guide) and submit the Internship Form (link below) is now May 30.
- Fall 2020: Range of start/end dates is Aug 15-Jan 7 2021. Deadline to submit proposal (refer to respective guide) and submit the Internship Form (link below) is now July 15.
- Internships are being processed normally at this time, however, policies may change as new decisions are made. We'll post changes and contact those that are in process.
- Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, you are strongly encouraged to work in-state.
- If you live out of state, you are strongly encouraged to work in the same state in which you live.
Sustainable Technology Students
- Sustainable Technology Undergraduate Student Internship Guide [PDF, 500 KB]
- STBE Internship Form Link
Building Science Students
All students in the Building Science program are required to complete a 6 credit hour internship as a part of their coursework. The general purpose of the internship is to give students practical experience applying the theory and content of coursework in the field of study. Expanded helps and documents can be found on the ASULearn Building Science Resource page.
We value your involvement with our student interns and look forward to working with you! Please review the appropriate Information Guide provided above for detailed information about the structure and expectations of the internship experience.
Goals of the Internship
The goals of the internship are to:
- Provide the intern with a relevant, practical educational experience that reinforces academic coursework.
- Provide business or industry collaborators with qualified and experienced graduates.
- Acquaint the intern with the physical, academic, and professional requirements of his or her chosen field.
- Develop the intern's ability to search for and find employment.