Job Growth in Sustainability & the Building Industries
Sustainability is driving growth in many market sectors according to the US Energy and Employment Report (2022). In 2021, the Energy sector employed more than 7.8 million Americans, a 4.0% increase from 2020 to 2021.
The 2022 USEER analysis shows that energy jobs have rebounded, after sharply declining in 2020 due the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent economic fallout. In 2021, energy jobs grew 4.0% from 2020, outpacing overall U.S. employment, which climbed 2.8% in the same time period.
The energy sector added more than 300,000 jobs, increasing the total number of energy jobs from 7.5 million in 2020 to more than 7.8 million in 2021.
- Energy efficiency jobs increased by 2.7% to number 2,164,914 jobs from 2020-2021.
- Solar industry employment jumped by over 5.4% or 17,212 jobs .
- Wind industry employment added 3,347 jobs with a growth rate of 2.9%. Wind energy was one of the few industries that did not lose jobs in 2020.
- Bioenergy gained 349 jobs (+2.9%)
- While fuel jobs decreased overall, the Biofuels sector added 1,180 jobs , an increase of 6.7%.
Appalachian's Department of Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment is uniquely suited to make an impact on important global challenges and to serve this diverse labor market!