- Ph.D., Energy & Environmental Systems, North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University
- M.A.,Appropriate Technology, Appalachian State University
- B.S., Natural Resources, North Carolina State University
- Solar Thermal Energy
- Biofuels & Biosystems
- Appropriate Technology in the Developing World
Professional Affiliations or Organizations:
- International Society for Industrial Ecology
- North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association
- Next Generation Scientists for Biodiesel
- Industrial Ecology and Eco-Industrial Park Development
- Biofuels and biomass energy systems
- Sustainable Transportation Technology
- Closed-loop system design
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Permaculture design
- Appropriate Technology in lesser income countries
- Ferrell, J., & Shahbazi, A. (2015). County Government Led EIP Development using Municipal Biomass Resources for Clean Energy Production, a case study of the Catawba County North Carolina EcoComplex. Progress in Industrial Ecology. Accepted January 2015.
- Ferrell, J.C. (2014). A distributed model of oilseed biorefining, via integrated industrial ecology exchanges. ProQuest Dissertation. Published May 2014.
- Ferrell, J. (2013). Overcoming Economic barriers to Distributed Biodiesel Manufacturing through value-added co -products, near-term technology, and system integration. National Biodiesel Board, Next Generation Scientists for Biodiesel Conference Proceedings.
- Raichle, B., Sinclair, R., Ferrell, J. (2012). Design and construction of a direct hydro powered coffee depulper. Energy for Sustainable Development.
- Ferrell, J., Hobbs, Z., Ramsdell, J. (2012). Integrating Co-Generation for Renewable Fuel Production at the Catawba County North Carolina EcoComplex. EPA LMOP conference proceedings.
- Akyeampong, J., Ferrell, J. The EcoComplex: Economic Study of Biodiesel Production with Heterogeneous Catalysis. Proceedings of the 2012 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference.
- Ferrell, J., Cockerill, K. (2011). Closing Coffee Production Loops with Fair Trade Ethanol in Matagalpa, Nicaragua. Energy for Sustainable Development.
- Ferrell, J., Edwards, B. (2010). Biomass Energy Potential at the Catawba County North Carolina EcoComplex. NC A&T Green Energy Conference Proceedings.
- Ferrell, J. (2009). Testing Modular Biodiesel Processing, Oilseed Feedstocks, and Combustion Emissions at the EcoComplex in Catawba County, North Carolina. Proceedings from 1st Biofuels Technology Shortcourse, Fulbright Commission-Brazil, Sao Paulo.
- Solar Thermal Energy, TEC 4628/5628
- Contemporary Problems in Appropriate Technology, TEC 4638
- Biofuels Technology, TEC 4700/5700
- Ecological Design in Peru TEC 3532
- Sustainable Technologies in Nicaragua TEC 3536
Title: Assistant Department Chair, Associate Professor (OCSA - Sabbatical in Fall 2023)
Department: Department of Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-8818