- University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 2004, Doctor of Philosophy: Mechanical Engineering
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 2002, Master of Engineering: Mechanical Engineering
- Clemson University, Clemson, SC, 1994, Bachelor of Science: Mechanical Engineering
Professional Affiliations or Organizations:
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Green Design and Sustainable Technologies and Systems for the built environment with a focus on the development and integration of highly efficient technologies and renewable energy technologies into buildings
- Development of inexpensive solar thermal systems capable of producing hot water at sufficient temperatures for residential/commercial heating and cooling and for low grade industrial process heat applications
- Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship in Design with a focus on Commercialization and Technology Transfer
- Photoactive thin film coatings with solar thermal energy and heat transfer applications
- Smyth, Mervyn and Jamie Russell. ‘From graft to bottle’ - Analysis of energy use in viticulture and wine production and the potential for solar renewable technologies. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,Volume 13, Issue 8, October 2009.
- Kellam, Nadia, Michelle Maher, James Russell, Veronica Addison, and Wally Peters, “Benchmarking the Integration of Complex Systems Study in American Mechanical Engineering Programs,” International Journal for Mechanical Engineering Education, July 2007.
- J. A. Russell and W. H. Peters. “A Material and Energy Flow Analysis of South Carolina: Past, Present, and Future.” American Society of Mechanical Engineering Energy Sustainability Conference, Long Beach, CA. June 2007. Best Paper Award
- J. A. Russell, W. H. Peters, N. N. Craig, and B. C. Coull. “Systems and Ecosystems.” Sustainability Science and Engineering: Defining Principles. Ed. Martin Abraham. Elsevier, 2006.
- Nadia Craig, Veronica Addison, James Russell, Michelle Maher, Wally Peters. Benchmarking the Integration of Complex Systems Study in Southeastern Mechanical Engineering Programs, Proceedings of the 2005 ASEE SE Region Annual Conference, 2005.
- Russell, James, Michelle Maher, Nadia Craig, Wally Peters. Embracing Complexity in Engineering Education at Southeastern Universities, Proceedings of the 2004 ASEE SE Region Annual Conference, 2004.
- Russell, James, Karen Kirtland, Dawn K. Wilson, Nadia Craig, Veronica Addison, and Wally Peters. A Comparison of Slowly-Evolving Versus Rapidly-Evolving Cities on Prevalence of Obesity and Physical Activity, Presentation at the ISBNPA Conference June, 2004, Washington, DC.
- Russell, James, Wally Peters. A Macro-ethic for Engineering, Proceedings of the 2003 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, 2003.
- Building Science
- Planning and Scheduling
- Solar Decathlon Engineering Design
Title: Director of the Appalachian Energy Center, Professor
Department: Department of Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment, The Energy Center
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7708